Friday, March 18, 2005

Baby Learns to Crawl

Soon after I returned, waiting for my 6:30 class in the 6:00 twilight, I think back to the speech contest I was asked to judge at the University the weekend after my return from the US. I remember the University girls dance group entertaining the contestants and audience to Britney Spears, Islam-style. I ponder for the hundredth time the speeches, most learned by rote with no critical thought whatsoever, several tonelessly urging teenagers to reject “destructive western influences”… unable to specify any examples of these influences. And I think again about the power of education, learning, schools… the Darth Mauls and Luke Skywalkers, using the same set of tools, with the power to create or destroy. And I’m again thrilled to be here, to be able to do my little bit as Luke for whomever comes through our doors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home